Frequently Asked Questions

Businessman Thinking


What number do I call for court information?

The number for the Information Center is (316) 660-5900. The Information Center has a staff of very knowledgeable District Court clerks who are very helpful in answering questions.

Can the clerks at the Information Center or in the clerk's office assist me with legal information?

None of the clerks in any office can give legal advice. The following agencies can assist you with legal questions:
Kansas Legal Services' justice advice line: (316) 265-0033
Kansas Bar Association's KS Lawyer referral service and advice line: (316) 265-1247 or (800) 928-3111

What are your hours?

The clerks offices are open 8:00am to 4:00pm.

What is the courts holiday schedule?

Click here to view the Courts Holiday schedule.

How do I get to the Juvenile Facility?

Please click here for a map displaying the Juvenile location. The Google™ map provides directions to the Juvenile Facility from any location and allows dragging, satellite, and hybrid satellite/street views.

How can I gain access to Court Records?

There are three ways to access Court Records:

  1. Visit the Courthouse at 525 N Main, 6th floor Court Records department and view records on public access computers
  2. Subscribe to Sedgwick County Subscriber Access network - Fee required
  3. Obtain access through the Information Network of Kansas at their web site - Fee required
    (Direct link:

Sedgwick County Subscriber Access Network and AccessKansas currently have all public records available.
All public records are available at the Courthouse from 8 am to 5 pm. 4 pm to 5 pm access is available in the 1st Floor jury room, for printed copies please see the 1st Floor Paystation.

Please read below for more information on Sedgwick County and AccessKansas record viewing options. The 18th Judicial District Court, through your choice of the Information Network of Kansas or the Sedgwick County's Department of Information and Operation, is pleased to offer you online, view-only access to selected official legal Court information:
  • The information you need
  • Delivered to your location
  • Access greater than 8 a.m. to 5 p. m. business hours.
You can enjoy the advantages of having selected information used and maintained by the 18th Judicial District Court available to you. These are the same computer records used in Court offices. Some records currently available to subscribers include: District Court Records
  • Marriage License
  • Civil Court
  • Criminal Court
  • Domestic Court
  • Probate Court
  • Support Division / Court Trustee
  • Traffic Division
If you would like to gain extended remote access to the court records for a fee through Sedgwick County click on the link below: Sedgwick County Subscriber Access Network The Sedgwick County Subscriber Access Network was established by the Department of Information & Operations to provide citizens and organizations access to the public records of Sedgwick County on a subscription basis. The rights to view this information are in compliance with Kansas statutes that address access to public records granted to the Department of Information & Operations by the governmental entity responsible for the individual databases being accessed. If you would like to gain access to the court record through Access Kansas call 1-800-4-KANSAS or visit their web site at State of Kansas (INK). The Department of Information & Operations and the 18th Judicial District Court cannot accept responsibility for the timeliness nor the accuracy of the data being provided via the network.

How do I get to the Courthouse and where do I park?

For directions to the Courthouse and where to park, please click here.


How do I get copies of a record?

- In person at the Sedgwick County Courthouse - Send a letter to:
Records Department
525 N. Main, 6th floor
Wichita, KS 67203 - Send a request by fax: (316) 941-5358 - Email your request to When requesting information, please be as specific as possible. Include case number (if available), type of case and specific documents requested. Include name(s) of parties, dates of birth, social security numbers and date or approximate date of filing. The dates of birth and social security numbers are to help us verify we are giving you the correct information for the party you are requesting information on.

Can I look up records myself?

Public computers are available 8:00am to 4:00pm on the 6th floor, Records Department, at the Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main.

What is the cost for getting or receiving copies of records?

- Copies are 25 cents per page - Certification - $1.00 per certification - Act of Congress - $5.00 each - Fax (if we fax copies to you) - $2.00 for the first page, $1.00 each additional page - Research - any extended, in depth research is $12.00 per hour - Salt Mine Retrieval - $30.00 first file, $15.00 each additional file on the same order

Where can I go for a background check on someone?

Background checks are performed by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation: (785) 296-8200.

Can I view a document that has been scanned?

There are public PC's located in the Records department on the 6th floor that can be used to view documents that have been filed and scanned.

What is the fee for a marriage license?

The fee for a marriage license is $85.50 payable by cash, credit card, or debit card (no checks).

How can I get an official copy of my marriage certificate?

You can contact Vital Statistics in Topeka at 785-296-1400, and request an official copy of your marriage license be mailed to you for $15.00, or you may visit their website at and order your official copy online, fees will apply.

How can I get an official copy of a death certificate?

In order to obtain a copy of a death certificate, contact Vital Statistics in Topeka at 785-296-1400, or you may visit their website at

How do I get married at the courthouse?

There are several judges that perform wedding ceremonies at the courthouse. A list of judges can be obtained by the bride and/or groom when application is made for the marriage license. The couple will need to set an appointment with a judge and can be married after the marriage license has been purchased.

What is the process to get a marriage license?

Currently, during the COVID-19 Pandemic those interested in applying for a marriage license need to send an email to the following email address:

Where is the Marriage License office located and what are the office hours?

Currently, during the COVID-19 Pandemic those interested in applying for a marriage license need to send an email to the following email address:

What is the waiting period before I can get married again?

In Kansas the waiting period is 30 days after the Decree of Divorce has been filed.

Family Law

Can I pick my check up?

No, all payments are processed through the Kansas Payment Center in Topeka:

Kansas Payment Center
PO Box 758599
Topeka, KS 66675-8599

phone: (877) 572-5722

Can I get on a list to pick up my check each month?

No, payments are now processed through the payment center in Topeka. (see "Can I pick my check up?")

Why is my check less than what my payor paid?

There is a fee deducted for Court Trustee.

Do you have direct deposit?

Contact the Kansas Payment Center for direct deposit.

Kansas Payment Center
PO Box 758599
Topeka, KS 66675-8599

phone: (877) 572-5722

What is my child support balance?

The Court does not keep balances, check with your attorney or enforcement agency.

What is the balance of my arrearage?

We do not keep balances, check with your attorney or enforcement agency.

Why is my check less this month?

The main reason is that not enough funds were received from the payor. We only post what we receive.

Why does my money go to an DCF agency?

ADC or other cases receiving some type of services from DCF child support enforcement unit are sent to the DCF office.

How can I get my child support lowered or increased?

Motion packet forms are available in the forms section. Completed forms are filed with the clerk's office on the 7th floor at 525 N. Main. There is also a filing fee of $62.00 for post decree motions re: child support, visitation (parenting time) and custody. Although not required, it is recommended that you hire an attorney for this procedure.

What do I do to get my payor to pay?

Contact the Court Trustee office on the 7th floor of the Courthouse or by calling 660-5833.

What do I do to change my address?

Address changes must be in writing. They can be mailed. We will need case number, payors name, payees name, old address, and new address. Mailing address:

Family Law, 7th floor
525 N. Main
Wichita, KS 67203

How do I get a restraining order?

We have what are called Protection from Abuse cases and Protection From Stalking cases, call Family Court Services at 660-5900 to see if you qualify. The Forms and short videos on the process are available here.

How do I get a copy of my divorce papers?

Copies can be obtained either by appearing in person at the courthouse and requesting them, or by mailing your request to the Records department. You may also email your request to

How do I get a divorce without being represented by counsel?

Forms and instructions are available on this website in the Forms section. The filing fee is $197.00

How do I file a motion?

Motion packets are available at the Family Law department in the Courthouse. If you are outside the Wichita area, you can find them in the Forms section. There is a filing fee of $62.00 for post decree motions re: child support, visitation (parenting time) and custody.

When do I pay filing fee for motions?

There is a $62.00 fee for post judgment motions on divorce cases to modify custody, visitation (parenting time), or child support.

Can I view a document that has been scanned?

There are public PC's located in the Records Department on the 6th floor that can be used to view documents that have been filed and scanned.


I am the defendant in a civil case.   Will the court appoint a lawyer to represent me?

No, the right to appointed counsel applies only in criminal cases. In civil cases, each party generally must pay his or her own attorney's fees.

I own a small business which is organized as a corporation.  Since I own all of the stock and run the company, can I represent my business in court?

No, Kansas law permits only individual persons the right to represent themselves in court proceedings. A corporation is a separate legal entity and may appear in court only through a licensed attorney.

My wife and I have been sued in civil court and set the case for trial.  Can I appear on behalf of my wife so that she may go to work on the trial date?

No. Non-lawyers may represent only themselves in court proceedings. Your spouse may not represent you in court.

Can I sign a power of attorney and appoint some other person as my designated representative in a lawsuit?

No, there are four categories of individuals who may appear in the courts of this state: (1) members of the bar who have licenses to practice law. (2) individuals who have graduated from an accredited law school and have a temporary permit to practice law. (3) legal interns, who are law students supervised by members of the bar responsible for the interns' activities. (4) non-lawyers, who may represent only themselves and not others.


Where is the Probate office located and what are the office hours?

The Probate department is located at the Juvenile and Probate Courthouse, 1900 East Morris, Wichita, KS. Office hours are 8-4 Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

How do I file a mental/drug/or alcohol petition?

Contact the District Attorney's office at 660-3600.


Who do I call if I have a ticket from the city police?

For inquires regarding traffic tickets issued by city police, please call 316-268-4611.

Court Trustee NIVD

How do I file a paternity case?

You may either contact a private attorney or the Kansas Department for Children and Families. The Wichita Area DCF office may be reached by calling the number below. The CSS call centers hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Toll Free 1-888-757-2445
TTY 1-888-688-1666

How do I obtain a child support lien release so that I can sell or purchase real estate?

If your case is a Court Trustee case, contact the Court Trustee’s Office by phone. Please do this at least 1 week before the date of closing the real estate transaction. You will usually be required to pay all past due child support and interest before we will prepare the lien release.

How do I report a change of address?

An obligee (person receiving payments) must report the change in writing, by mail or fax. Simply send a note to our office. Your signature, the case number, the names of the payor and payee and an effective date are required. The oblige is also required to notify KPC of the address change. The obligor (person making the payments) may report the change in writing or by phone.

How do I find out the balance I owe in child support?

CSS customer Service Call Center is available to answer questions on IV-D/SRS cases in regards to Federal and State tax offset, unemployment intercepts, overpayments, drivers license restriction, paternity establishment, credit reporting, federal parent locator service (FPLS) - locates, passport denial, recreational license denial, temporary assistance for families (TAF), medical viability, and audits on arrearage.

The CSS call centers hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Toll Free 1-888-757-2445
TTY 1-888-688-1666

How do I transfer an income withholding order to a new employer?

An obligee or obligor should report the change of employment to the Court Trustee’s Office in writing, by mail or fax. Your signature, the case number, an effective date and the name and address of the new employer are required. If the case is a Court Trustee case, the Court Trustee’s Office will send a notice of withholding to the new employer within 2 working days.

How long does my child support obligation continue?

If the support order was entered in Kansas, child support continues until the child’s 18th birthday if the child is no longer in school (unless the parties have agreed otherwise and the agreement has been approved by the court). If the child is still in high school, child support continues until June 30 of the school year in which the child reaches age 18. A school year in Kansas runs from July 1st to June 30th. If a support order is entered in another state, the other state’s age of majority may govern.

Where can I get a copy of my payment record?

Payment records may be viewed online at

Jury Duty

How was I selected?

You were selected at random with the use of a computer from the citizens of Sedgwick County. If you are at least eighteen years of age, a citizen of the United States, a resident of Sedgwick County, are not now adjudged incompetent, are able to comprehend the English language, not currently breastfeeding, and have not been convicted of a felony in the last 10 years, you are eligible to serve as a juror.

What time do I need to arrive?

Mandatory reporting time is 8:30, unless you are instructed differently, but it advisable to arrive 15-20 minutes early to allow for check in delays.

How long will I serve?

All jury panels are called for a one-week period. If you are not selected as a juror during that week, your service will be concluded. If you are selected as a juror, your service will be over when the case is over. Although some cases last longer than one week, the vast majority of cases will average three or four days.

Excuses from Service

The judges are well aware that calling you for jury duty will result in an inconvenience to you. Under the law, the judge is permitted to excuse you only if your presence is required elsewhere for the public welfare, health or safety; if you are so physically or mentally infirm that you are not up to the task of jury duty; if you have served on a jury within the last year; or, if jury service would cause you extraordinary or compelling personal hardship. If you believe that you should be excused for one of these reasons, make your request known to the Jury Clerk.

Are you a citizen of the United States?

If no, you will need to provide proof of being a Non Citizen: send by fax, e-mail or u.s. mail or bring verification to the office, a copy of permanent resident card, passport, or student visa. If you send it to our office, please call to confirm that your verification was received and that you have been excused.

Are you a resident of Sedgwick County?

I've moved from Sedgwick County. Do I still qualify for jury service? No. If you have received a jury summons from us, but no longer live in Sedgwick County, please provide verification to our office. Send a copy of driver's license, voter registration, vehicle registration by fax, e-mail or u.s. mail for verification of current residence. Please call to confirm that your verification was received and that you have been excused.

Has a court found you to be presently incompetent?

If you have been found to be incompetent by a court, you will need to call the clerk at (316) 660-9101 so that the clerk may verify a case is on file with our court.

Have you been convicted, pled guilty, or pled nolo contendre to a felony within the last 10 years?

If you have been convicted of a Felony charge in Sedgwick County, please call the clerk at (316) 660-9101 so that the clerk may verify a case is on file with our court. If you have been convicted in another county or state, you will need to send verification by fax, email or us mail. Please call to confirm your verification was received and that you have been excused.

Are you a breastfeeding mother?

If you are a breast feeding mother, you may send verification by fax, e-mail or u.s mail from your doctor. Please call to confirm that your verification was received and that you have been excused.

Excused from Jury duty for health reasons?

If you have health reasons that make you incapable of serving on jury duty. You will need to send verification from your doctor in some details stating why you are unable to serve. Your doctor's office may send verification by fax, e-mail or u.s. mail. Please call to confirm that your verification was received from your doctor and that you have been excused

Failure to report for Jury Service

What happens if I have been summoned for jury service, but I just decide not to come in? You may be held in contempt of court and you can be fined for failing to respond to a jury service summons. We hope that you will reconsider. The jury system is an important part of democracy in America. Rather than relying solely upon state employees (judges) to decide the facts in a dispute, whether civil or criminal, our system of government relies upon a group of citizens chosen from the community to make those decisions. The jury system can only work well if jurors are chosen from a full cross-section of the people. Because of this, we work hard to make sure that segments of our community are not excluded from jury duty, whether through self-selection (i.e., failing to show up) or otherwise.

Continuance of Jury service

If jury service on the scheduled date would cause you temporary extraordinary or compelling personal hardship, your jury service can be changed to a later date. Request for deferred jury service must be made before the date on your summons by calling the Jury Clerk. Jury service may be rescheduled one time only.

Must I have special knowledge?

For service as a juror, it is not expected or necessary that you have any special talents or training. The judge presiding in the trial will decide the law. You will decide the facts from the evidence presented in the case utilizing your experience and knowledge common to all persons in general. As a juror, you become an officer of the court, the judge of the facts - and determine the verdict in the case.

What is the working schedule?

The hours of work are set by each judge with a break for lunch and recesses. At times it becomes necessary to work a little late - perhaps to complete the testimony of a witness from out of town to avoid a return the next day. But the normal working hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm. During lunch you are permitted to leave the courthouse, and in the evenings you will be permitted to return to your homes. You may have read of cases where jurors are "sequestered" or kept together in the evenings during trial. You do not need to worry about this. Traditionally, we do not sequester juries, even during their deliberation on their verdict.


Sometimes there are delays before jurors are assigned to a court for trial. The parties have a legal right to settle their differences without a trial, and at times this may be done after the parties and lawyers come to court. Also, in some cases there are matters that must be taken up before trial, and this cannot be done until the actual day of trial. In either case, jurors usually remain in the assembly room rather than the courtroom. You may want to bring a book, magazine or needlework** in case the delay is longer than usual. We will inform you as soon as it is determined that you are not needed. Wireless internet access is available. During the trial there are conferences on matters of law between the judge and the lawyers. These are part of the trial and are usually done outside the presence of the jury. **Needlework - security does not allow pointed scissors or knitting needles. Crochet hooks are okay. Anything deemed dangerous will be confiscated and returned upon departure.

Courtroom Decorum

Whenever the judge enters the courtroom, all persons in attendance are required to rise, and court is opened formally by the bailiff of the court. Besides the judge and bailiff, the staff includes the certified shorthand reporter who records all the proceedings of the trial. When a case is ready to be tried with a jury, the judge will announce the names of the parties and introduce the lawyers. The required number of jurors will then be called to sit in the jury box, and trial begins with the jury selection process.

Courtroom Attire

The dress code for jury duty is business casual. Uniforms are not permitted. Uniforms include, but are not limited to; firefighters, security, military, law enforcement, nursing scrubs, EMT and other easily recognized uniforms. Shorts and tank tops are not acceptable attire. Because temperatures vary in courtrooms and in the assembly room, it is recommended to dress in layers.

Conduct of Jurors

The judge will inform you of your function and conduct as jurors. Generally, you will be instructed that during the trial you as jurors must not express any opinion about the case nor are you to discuss any part of the case among yourselves or with anyone else, nor have anyone discuss the case with you or in your presence. The reason here is obvious: you are bound to render a verdict based only upon the evidence presented during the trial, which the judge has determined proper and admissible for you to consider. You will notice that the parties and their lawyers may appear to be aloof and unfriendly. They are not permitted to fraternize with jurors. This is intended to avoid even the appearance of any impropriety. Your contacts about the case must be made only with the judge and the bailiff. All that will be expected of you is to be open-minded, fair, and objective, and determine the facts of the case and the verdict based upon the evidence presented, the judge's instructions, and your common sense.

Jury Fees

The statutory jury fee of $10 per day is not intended to reflect the value Of Your services as jurors. It is simply a token payment to persons who are performing one of the duties of citizenship. You will receive your fee plus a mileage and meal allowance approximately two weeks following your jury service. If you are excused at your request, you will not receive this fee since you will not have been eligible for jury service.

Does my employer have to pay me during Jury service?

No, there is no Kansas law requiring employers to pay their employees while they are serving on a jury. However, they are required by Kansas law to allow you to serve on jury duty. Some employers do have policies under which employees are paid their normal salary even while serving on a jury. You'll need to check with your employer regarding their policy.

Why do I have to pay for postage to return questionnaire?

The Jury Office spends over $15,288 annually in postage to mail summons and juror checks. Postage for returned questionnaires would nearly double the cost.

Stand-by Jurors

If you received a Stand-By Jury Summons you do not need to report to the courthouse unless you are instructed to. When you call the phone number on your summons you will reach a RECORDING which will tell you:
(1) that you should report for jury service on that day,
(2) that you should call again later in the week or,
(3) that you are permanently excused.
The judges have adopted a stand-by system in order to avoid the time and expense involved in calling jurors when they are not needed. If you were not required to come in, your name will be placed back in the jury pool and you may be summoned at a later date.

Procedure of a Jury Trial

Jury Selection

  • Jurors are called to the jury box and sworn to answer question concerning their qualifications to serve.
  • Challenges to jurors.
  • Jurors sworn.
The Trial
  • Opening statements
  • Presentation of the evidence
  • Closing argument by the lawyers
  • Jury retires to deliberate
Deliberation of Jury
  • Jurors select foreperson
  • Discuss evidence and instructions Verdict reached
  • Verdict read in open court
  • Jury discharged

In Conclusion

Your duty as a juror requires you to be prompt in your attendance, attentive to your duties, faithful to your oath, considerate and tolerant of your fellow jurors, sound and deliberate in your evaluation, firm but not stubborn in your convictions, and faithful to your trust.. From your service as a juror, you will experience a sense of deep satisfaction for having fulfilled your obligation to our community.